(Hitching a ride to shorten the hike up to the mountain cabin)
I was priviledged enough to spend two nights of solitude in the mountain cabin. The cabin is on the far right side of the lake that you see. No, I was not banished as oyu might imagine - but rather Magni was able to fulfill a desire of my heart - to be alone with God in His beautiful creation!

Just me and the sheep! It looked so much like the scene in The Sound of Music where Julie Andrews sings "The Hills are alive.." - I had to try it for myself. I didn't have a guitar case, but I swung around and sang as loud as I could. The sheep were really impressed!
It was so peaceful and so easy for me to just get lost in my thoughts and a different speed of life. I climbed some of the mountains around the cabin and I kept finding my own personal swimming holes – here is the one I chose for a bit of skinny dipping (as my mother taught me is the best way to swim!):
The last night up there I actually managed to cast out a net to catch fish while rowing the boat – something I’ve never tried before! And lo and behold, when I gathered the net in the morning (also while rowing – aren’t you amazed… well you should be!!) there was one fish waiting to be eaten as my breakfast! I think my Fisherman ancestors in Holland would be proud!
_____________________________________________________
(Here is what I wrote from a mountain top)
Deep thoughts on a mountain top
27.07.06 @ 12:37
Here I sit, all alone with this view.
Writing my first ever “paper blog”. First, the old fashioned way of writing – on paper! Then typed into my laptop, and in maybe a week posted on my blog when I have internet access again.
Ah, but life is good up here. All I hear is the sound of the wind and the faint whisper of a river down in the valley. I see glaciers, mountain peaks, snow, waterfalls, mountain lakes, the sky and a small town in the distance. A dragon fly just floated past me, flying this way and that – life seems so different from up here. What really is important? What really matters? We seem so small compared to all this. All my worries and concerns – how simple are the solutions to the God who created these mountains. The God who carved out the fjords with His hands. And yet, we are the apple of His eye, the reason He created all this. We, out of all creation, are made in His image.
Why do I not look at the people around me and be struck in wonder and awe by the majesty of the God who created them? Are they not more beautiful than this?
No comments:
Post a Comment