7.28.2006

FairyTale Land

Out of Oslo I boarded a small plane that was half-empty going to some small place on the west coast that I really had no idea where it was. One of the first things that I noticed when we got near to the coast was that there was this white substance on the top of the mountains – snow. Something that you don’t find in many places in the summer!

The day that I arrived Magni and I went up to go spend the night in their mountain cabin (without electricity or running water – ah, the rustic life!). On the way we had to chase a sheep through a gate and that was quite a bit of fun for me – the simple joys of country life. It was a really beautiful hike up to the mountain, and such a peaceful place to stay.

The next day we hiked to the edge of the mountains so that we could get a good view of the fjord.

It was beautiful and good to get to see a different fjord view than the now-so-familiar Preikestolen view.

The first few days that I was here they were having their summer festival in Hyen. I got to hear some violin playing, watch a volleyball match and cheer for the "good guys", go to a country dance and have my foot stepped on in a waltz.

We even had a lovely church service outside that Sunday. Then there was the big event – Magni’s 30th birthday party! We had a lovely time out by the lake and were not eaten by too many bugs since I and one of Magni’s brothers did some "bug warfare" earlier.

Now, my only complaint (other than the lack of cell phone service which I didn’t know was possible in this country, but I have been informed that it is simply the provider that I have) is that there are not enough mountains here for me to climb! I mean, if I was staying here much longer I would have to go farther and farther to find new ones...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice,fantastic, marvellous, great and excellent description of our aerea. Greetings from JEG

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet You Jessie! Excellent, good and great pictures from your stay in Nordfjord! :-) God bless You!
Greetings from Asbjørn.