This has been a strange winter, if you can even call it winter. We have had rather mild weather thus far, and I am starting to get confused.
Not only that, but all the time I have spent in Norway is starting to affect me! We'll move past the fact that last spring I gave into the SMS stronghold in the nation (and scarily enough I am looking forward to getting back to it...).
Now I find myself doing things like: opening all the windows to get fresh air in the middle of "winter"! Well, today it got even worse! It looked so sunny outside, and when I went out on the balcony, it wasn't that cold. So, I ended up spending the last few hours sitting out on our balcony cross-stitching - I just had to be outside in the sunshine. Suddenly, after sitting there and enjoying the feeling.... I realized that I had pulled up my pant legs, and I was sunning myself in
February!
Now, one of the things that has always amused me about Weegies (Norwegians) is that as soon as the sun comes out in the spring they all seem to run outside and sun their faces, and arms and legs. They can literally spend hours doing this! When I first observed this circumstance, it reminded me of Lizards crawling out onto rocks and sitting there for hours. The odd thing was, that they started to do this is in temperatures that I personally did not consider very warm. In fact, sometimes there was quite the nip in the air, but they didn't seem to mind. They were so focused on the sunshine.
Well, now I see that I have been even more affected by their culture than I thought.
I am starting to wonder what habits I will pick up this spring....
Not only that, but all the time I have spent in Norway is starting to affect me! We'll move past the fact that last spring I gave into the SMS stronghold in the nation (and scarily enough I am looking forward to getting back to it...).
Now I find myself doing things like: opening all the windows to get fresh air in the middle of "winter"! Well, today it got even worse! It looked so sunny outside, and when I went out on the balcony, it wasn't that cold. So, I ended up spending the last few hours sitting out on our balcony cross-stitching - I just had to be outside in the sunshine. Suddenly, after sitting there and enjoying the feeling.... I realized that I had pulled up my pant legs, and I was sunning myself in
February!Now, one of the things that has always amused me about Weegies (Norwegians) is that as soon as the sun comes out in the spring they all seem to run outside and sun their faces, and arms and legs. They can literally spend hours doing this! When I first observed this circumstance, it reminded me of Lizards crawling out onto rocks and sitting there for hours. The odd thing was, that they started to do this is in temperatures that I personally did not consider very warm. In fact, sometimes there was quite the nip in the air, but they didn't seem to mind. They were so focused on the sunshine.
Well, now I see that I have been even more affected by their culture than I thought.
I am starting to wonder what habits I will pick up this spring....
4 comments:
Hi Jess! That was hilarious. I was just laughing and laughing reading about you becoming Norwegian... :)
Me and Bjarte had a good laugh, and he says you are the perfect IECS student! :)
Beate
Hi Jessie Mae,
An interesting venue for communicating....letting people know where your at...both pysically and mentally. I'll keep an eye on your ramblings...in the meantime, good to hear from you.
Jess!
Whats up, Que pasa?
Good to see and hear you still kickin' around...myself I have been gone from Mercy Ships for about 8 months now...but still plan on getting back into missions here and there.
Tyrone (the Chief Cook after Maria Munafo on the Caribbean, just in case you forgot! hahaha)
Hey Jessica
Great to hear what God is doing in your life!! Enjoy Norway for us...we miss it terribly. Have you made Borscht yet?? When do you leave? Blessings...Tony, Cheri and Derek
Post a Comment