When I was a young, rebellious, headstrong and therefore rather free teenager – I committed to some friends that I would shave my head for $50. In the end, they backed out and I did not do it.
Fast forward to present day. Steve walks into the living room with his newly shaved head and a discussion breaks out. We talk about back then, and Steve says that he will pay me the equivalent of $50 to do it. Well, suddenly I realize that age is catching up with me as I clearly see that $50 is not what it used to be to me. Also, Norway is an incredibly expensive place to live – suddenly it’s like doing it for $20 today! Hmmm… not really worth it to me. I like my curls, it’s taken the power of God and 27 years and an understanding of how to work with them and not against them, but I finally do!
I had to keep thinking about it, though. I realized that this is getting harder with age. Something in me wants to do it, just to try it once. Like my Mom says, “I can cross it off my list” (of things to do in my life).
So, I started to weigh the pros and cons. Not too many pros struck me, except that I wanted to try it. The cons were like this: I will probably wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and feel ugly. Others will probably think I look ugly. I will look like a boy. Etc etc….
So, what it came down to was that all my reasons for not doing it were based out of fear. I don’t like fear – in fact, I rather hate it. I don’t want to be held by that kind of fear in my life. So, I got a razor and went to my room and did it.
Yes, there was about 2 days where I felt incredibly embarrassed about my hair, I regretted doing it and felt really ugly. A few people said some comments that did not help my situati0n any. I think that was before my plumbline ministry. I haven’t had any feelings like that since, and now I have discovered the great benefits. I spend no time doing my hair, people notice my eyes, and I am making a Sinead O’Connor music video. So take THAT, fear!

2 comments:
I must say! ..But I don´t know WHAT to say..
Wow! Jess you're beautiful either way! Good on ya...as they say in Aussie.
I have a company blog, momentscaptured4u.typepad.com
Nice keeping up with ya!
Post a Comment