2.18.2007

The Trails of Life

I learn so much about life and God while walking and being out in nature.

Today I went for walk, the sunshine was beckoning me to come out and indulge in life as it should always be. It’s easy to stay on the same paths all the time. They are familiar, we know just what to expect and exactly where we will end up. Today I went for the adventure of the unknown. I wasn’t dressed the best for the things I encountered… a white jacket and mud really don’t mix well! My runners filled with cold water on a few occasions and my socks got really wet. When you don’t know where the path will lead, you must simply follow it and take on obstacles as they come. You don’t know what you need in order to be prepared, so you just have to deal with things as they come. Sometimes the path is not clear and you simply need to make a choice and try to get to where you think you are going. I lost the path today, and made a choice that in hindsight I would say was a bad one. I had to climb precariously on slippery rocks, and when I finally made it back onto the path, I could look back and see that there was a much easier way that I could have taken, had I have known better. I found new areas to walk in and explore that I have never been to before, although they are so near to my home. Now I know, and I can go back to enjoy and discover more in that new playground. However, if I had not gone out and tried something new and unknown, I would not have discovered those places. When I was on these new paths I found other people walking, who seemed to be much more comfortable in the area then I was. They knew this place, they’d been here before and maybe this was their safe place. I would not have seen those people had I have stayed on my own paths. At one point in my journey, I was so unsure of the way ahead, I didn’t know if it was possible to continue. As I looked back, I realized that the way back looked even worse, and I certainly didn’t want to have to turn around. In the end, I learned some things – I know which way not to go when I return there, and I know where to find the paths that can lead to enjoyable views and places to savor. When I got back out onto the streets, I wasn’t sure which street I was on, and I had to walk some time before I came to a spot that I recognized and finally knew where I was.

Sometimes in life I wonder… should I have taken this path? Does it lead to somewhere I want to be? How do I know that I won’t loose the trail and end up on a cliff? What if I get stuck and the way back is no longer possible? Why is this so yucky?
Other times I think… wow, what a view! What a wonderful place to just sit and think. What a fun adventure this is. I don’t know if I’ll make it, but I just need to try this. If I can make it through this, I can do anything. That certainly was worth it. Maybe I’ll try a new adventure next time and find something even better. Who knows what awaits me...

No comments: