
One of the first things that amazed me was the cleanliness of the outhouse!

In the bag that you see here are woodchips to toss into the toilet to keep away flies and smells. I was quite impressed (of course, I have been on so many outreaches that all it takes is nice toilets to impress me)!
We followed a nice small, trail through the woods to get up to this view.

And then, just to keep things exciting… the rain came. I saw it coming and said, I think the rain is coming. Haikki agreed and unfortunately we were no where near shelter and had no rain gear with us (I certainly hadn’t ordered rain today!) so we headed under a large tree. And we waited. And it started to rain lightly at first, but no worries… soon it was downpour!

I managed to stay partially dry, which I felt was a definite victory, and it was so funny to just hang out under the tree and attempt to stay as dry as possible until the rains left.
After the rains we kept hiking and soon the national bird of Finland… the mosquitoes came out in hordes! I found out that they have a particular taste for foreign blood since I was their main target and it was quite the battle until I got out the bug repellant and basically bathed in it. I smelled, but I was free (for the most part… but one did try and go up my nose where I did not have any repellant)!
We ended up having a nice campfire with coffee (of course!) and Makara (Sausage… I’ve eaten 6 of these already since being here and I am sure there will be more…)
No comments:
Post a Comment