Well, I had the wonderful privilege of attending a real Norsk family Juleaften celebration! First, We went to Church which was quite the same as we would have in Canada, except that they had all the words to the Christmas Carols wrong! They had them in Norwegian! But although the translations were far apart, the music was often the same. Also, I got to hear the Christmas story in Norwegian for the first time.
Then it was off to my friend Beate's parents house. Normally here in Norway, there are always candles lit, in an unending passionate pursuit of making things "koslig". Well, for Christmas Eve things get really intense. I think there must've been at least 40 candles... it took Beate quite awhile to light them all. They produced enough heat to turn the house into a bit of an oven... which in turn helped to keep the food warm while we slowly worked our way through it all.
I noticed a strange occurrence when I sat down to eat... we each had 3 glasses to drink from! No kidding, really...3! I had all of mine filled with a different beverage and actually ended up refilling a couple of the glasses! What at first seemed to be an excess of drinks, became a necessity as I ate the salty lamb. In Norway there are basically two main choices of meat to eat for Christmas (I think they must have a law or something...). Either Lamb or Pork Ribs. In Kristiansand, I have heard of people who eat boiled Cod, but most Weegies turn their nose up to that idea. We had the lamb and the Cod for Beate's Dad. I tried to the Cod, just to do it, but then I decided I prefer the lamb (although it is a bit salty the first time you have it).
After eating to the point of being uncomfortably full (veldig met), and washing the dishes, we eventually settled down for the grand gift opening ceremony. Pretty much the same as back home. I did notice a few oddities, however. First let me say that I believe this phenomenon to be unique to the particularly wonderful family whom I was visiting, lest you be led astray about Norwegians in general :-) There was an incredible amount of "John Deere" paraphernalia being given. In fact, I believe it all had to be imported - and I was impressed by what I saw.
1 comment:
He he Jessica, good description of the cultural experience... thanks for spending julaften with us, it was great having you here! The next day my uncle wanted to know where you were, since he discovered recently that one of his neighbours actually is Canadian...:)
Enjoy the rest of the holidays my friend!
Post a Comment