I went to the swimming pool with my Grandmother, and I soon noticed that I was the only person who was wearing a bikini. Not a tiny bikini, but a nice one with a skirt... ans suddenly I felt out of place. I had the vague recollection of when I first went to Norway and couldn't understand why everyone including overweight people were wearing bikinis, and I was actually laughed at for my pretty but modest bathing suit. The thought entered my head that I am now the "immodest European" (how did this happen??)
Then the confusion got even worse as I looked around me and saw mostly Asian and people from India, some of who were being extra modest in the swimming pool. I began to wonder where I was, and what I should actually be wearing. I would NEVER wear that suit in India or Asia, and here i was with so many immigarnts, but since I am in Canada what should I actually be wearing? Perhaps not a bikini, or not at this pool with these people?
A few days ago I was running errands with my Auntie Elisabeth and popped my head into the "Punjab cloth Wearhouse", to take a look. It was a Canadian version of an Indian store. It was so big, and had every type of Indian clothing there, and also bangles in the same store. It was only East-Indians in there and it was quieter than if I had actually been in India, and perhaps a little cleaner, too. I wandered and looked at everything and when I walked back out the doors into "Vancouver" I was suddenly very confused. Where on earth am I?
Let us add to this confusion a few other episodes....
I was in a grocery store and suddenly saw Jarlsberg cheese from Norway. I actually took a picture!
Then, my Aunt wanted to go to IKEA and I suddenly felt like I was in Scandinavia.... I also realized that many of the names of products were written in Swedish, so I felt like I could understand more than the average Canadian. I wandered as if in a dream, and looked loving at all the things that made me feel at home... and didn't know which language to speak. I was in Scandinavia, but not really, and it was close, but not quite Norway. Plus, everyone was Canadian. Right before the checkouts, they had a section with food that i slowly walked past and admired the almost-norwegian things.
I also was "carpet-bowling" last week ( I will have to do another blog about living in the retirement community) and ended up talking to a 95 year old lady who spoke Swedish (and I thought all these people were Dutch!!) It was nice to talk to her, since every once and awhile I just think på norsk.
So, again I wonder... WHERE AM I?
1 comment:
hahahaha. Bless your heart.
Post a Comment