After spending just 3 days in Edmonton, I flew to Kelowna and headed right into my pre-op examination at the eye clinic. My only real fear at that point was being told that I was not a candidate for eye surgery. Happily, my eyes are simple enough as I believed - so, instead of buying new glasses... I was getting surgery the very next day!
The pre-op was a bunch of eye tests, much the same as getting glasses or contacts. The difference was that I had to meet with like 20 different people to tell me all sorts of information that they had sent me months before and I had already read about (I guess they don't expect people to read papers when they tell the to!) Anyway, they gave me the choice of type of surgery, since I could have either done with my fantabulously easy eyes. One type (PRK) had less complications but a longer recovery time since you had the top layer of your eye removed and it would need to grow back (sorry to the sqeamish... but I think this stuff is fascinating...) and the other type of surgery created a flap that they folded back and then just smoothed back onto the eye, reducing the recovery time. I chose the flap route.
A screen in the corner showed the surgeries happening, and we
A lady came in that was excited, and she and my mom got talking... then mom started telling the story of my brother Doug getting this surgery 10 years ago, in this very small waiting room. It might have been fine if it were not for the young very nervous guy who was waiting to get the same kind of surgery, and there was my mom unknowingly telling the story of this young guy who yelled the whole week after that he was going blind, and how miserable he was. I am not sure that really helped the poor guy, and mom didn't even realize until I told her later about the young guy.
They gave me a sedative and that was good since my adrenaline was about as high as before my tattoos. As I started to feel the effects I thought it would have been nice if the mothers could have one of those happy, relaxing pills also.
Suddely they called me in and I was the chosen one! I went into the room and they did there thing. The most uncomfortable was when they put the machine on to cut the flap and they have to suction onto your eye... let's just say that it is not natural.
The actual laser part took only about
10 seconds for my first eye, and was painless. The weird part was that it smelled like burnt hair as they said it would. After they finished each eye, they would tape them shut and I had to sit for about 15 minutes that way to help the flap re-attatch.
They asked me what I wanted while I waited that way, and I told them coffee and a cookie.After my wait, they took off the tape and sent me home. Those who had the other kind of surgery came out looking better that
In my post check-ups I have had more compliments on my eyes then I have ever had in my life. Mom really liked the one immediately after, when the young doctor looked at my eyes and told me I had "really good looking flaps" and gave me his cell phone number. I have heard since then, by more than one doctor compliments about my great looking flaps and pupils.
The best thing of all, is that I have a cd of my procedure, so for any who are interested - I would be more than happy to share the whole experience with you!
1 comment:
thanks for all the details Jess... I really needed that :) Good to hear it all went well.. Enjoy the rest of your summer... see you in august :)
Post a Comment