5.20.2009

Becoming Norwegian

It is that wonderful time of year again... 17th of Mai, the day we celebrate Norway!


I was invited to go to a barbecue somewhere else for this day, but I wouldn't even consider it! The evening of the 16th, I spent ironing my shirt of my new "Festdrakt", or a more everyday national outfit (not quite as fancy or expensive as the REAL ones). As I ironed I remembered my first 17.mai back in 2003... Jofrid was my roommate and the day before she was ironing her shirt, especially the sleeves, to be ready to celebrate the next day. Now it seems after all these years it is finally my turn.

I had a profound realization before I started getting dressed this day (and looking forward to surprising many with my new outfit). I realized that I have celebrated this holiday at the same place with the same program and menu for 7 years. Then I thought about all the other holidays that I have had since I joined YWAM... and I realized that nothing stays the same for me... except 17.mai. It is my ONLY tradition, seconded by three years where I celebrated Thanksgiving in a lovely little corner of Colorado. I have to celebrate 17mai on Flekkerøy and in Kristiansand. I must eat sour cream porridge and salty meat. I remember being struck by traditions when I was visiting Magni's family for Christmas. The time when I felt sick walking around the Christmas tree and started to wonder just why people do what they do for traditions. I do what I do for 17.mai because it is what i have always done :-)

(Cleo from Brazil is wearing the bunad of her Norwegian family )

No comments: